[Year 12 IT Apps] 3NF: Request for clarification

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 10 18:00:08 EST 2014

Hello Laurie

Customer table: primary key = ID; no repeating groups > 1NF; SN & FN are both dependent only on primary key > 2NF; neither SN or FN determine each other (ID is the only determinant) > 3NF

Phone table: first, why have the 'record number'? If it is an actual field then do you mean it to be a unique identifier? In other words, an ID field?
If this is the intention, then you are right: phone number is dependent on the meaningless ID and we have 3NF.
But, that is the same for any ID. Remember that the primary key is the smallest set of columns that uniquely identify a row. The reason we introduce an ID field is that in a table with many columns, the number of columns that make up the primary key could become quite unwieldy. For your Customer table, for example, if you did not have ID, then the primary key would be SN+FN, and those two columns would have to be duplicated into any table you wished to link to the Customer table.
So, for the phone table - assuming it's going to be the 'destination' of a link, why bother with the RecordNo field at all. The primary key would be ID_FK + Phone, and 1NF, 2NF and 3NF are achieved.

I know where you are coming from though - a few months ago I was trying to come up with some simple examples and found that reducing the table to two columns makes things very difficult for 2NF and 3NF. In effect the problems that 2NF and 3NF are trying to fix just disappear so 2NF and 3NF become pointless. The second thing that makes 2NF and 3NF 'disappear' is the use of ID fields because the problems that 2NF and 3NF are trying to fix only crop up when the primary key is made up of two or more columns.

So, examples that are trying to explain 2NF and 3NF need multi-column primary keys and at least one more column than just the primary key.

Regards
Robert T-A