[Year 12 IT Apps] 3NF: Request for clarification

Savage, John L savage.john.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 10 15:55:56 EST 2014

I've been reading and re-reading material about 3NF and trying to look at it as an average student (which is easy). My problem is pretty simple and best dealt with by two examples.

First, from Wikipedia is the classic example with which I have no problems, the DOB is uniquely dependent on the key field (Winner).
Tournament Winners

Tournament

Year

Winner

Indiana Invitational

1998

Al Fredrickson

Cleveland Open

1999

Bob Albertson

Des Moines Masters

1999

Al Fredrickson

Indiana Invitational

1999

Chip Masterson

Here is my problem
Customer

Phone

ID

SN

FN

RecordNo

ID_FK

Phone

SAV01

Savage

Laurie

1

SAV01

043123456

SMI05

Smith

Sam

2

SAV01

0393062512

3

SMI05

0438111222

4

SMI05

0396541782

5

SMI05

0412345678

Winner Dates of Birth

Winner

Date of Birth

Chip Masterson

Al Fredrickson

Bob Albertson

These are in 3NF but in the Phones Table the phone number is only UNIQUELY dependant on the meaningless record number, which seems at variance with the "key and nothing but the key" motto OR is the key RecordNo+ID_FK.

I'm definitely missing something in the definition aren't I?

Laurie

[cid:image001.png at 01CFFCFE.F8E00F40]