[Year 12 IT Apps] Introduction - new teacher - and my thoughts on the exam

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Nov 10 16:09:14 EST 2014

On 10 November 2014 09:01, Garth, Lucas A <garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au>
wrote:

>  Hi

G'day Lucas. Welcome to The House of Fun.

>  I've taken over as VCE IT teacher at Lalor SC and started at beginning
> of Term 4 teaching 2 classes of Apps (and 2 of Y11)
>
>  It's been good to read over the edulists and to get a better knowledge
> of the feelings of teachers at ground level. You have been generous to all
> who ask, and it's a credit to the profession.

Sometimes the ITA list feels more like an AA meeting with lots of
confessions, sobbing and reassurance.
I'm mainly here for the confessions.

> Did anyone feel surprised when they read the exam paper and didn't see one
> RDBMS/SS tick box 8 mark question?

Not so much "surprised" as "relieved".
I believe databases have been overly-assessed in recent years.
It was a surprise to get so many marks on design elements, but I think VCAA
has a bit of a kinky attraction to them.

>  My feelings on the exam (not overly relevant having only taught exam
> revision) is that the focus shifted markedly from how the Study Design was
> interpreted for the VCAA exams in 2011-2013.

Like tides, ITA exams fluctuate in their annual areas of emphasis.
Once, data security was the big, favourite topic.
Recently, databases have been dominant.
This year databases seem to have receded to give way to design elements and
mock-ups.
Next year, the balance may reassert itself.
I'm convinced ITA is a homeostatic organic entity - I believe that
it even bites when you poke it with a stick.

One thing I can suggest: don't base an entire year's teaching on just last
year's exam.
To be prepared, you need to average out the key knowledge emphasis over the
last few exams.

>  As I'm teaching in 2015 as well, I'd like to know if VCAA gave any
> advice to teachers other than the normal review from the previous year's
> exam -

There's not a lot.

Last year's official examiner's report took 7 months to arrive. Hmphh.
Let's look up "timely" in our glossaries, shall we?

Paula sometimes scatters some valuable pearls of wisdom when she appears at
events. If you see that she has a gig happening, camp out and buy an early
ticket.
While her band is very capable, her last rock opera ("Funky Funky
Normalisation 1-2-3") took eight hours and thoroughly confused the audience
in the mosh pit.

didn't stop me from giving students consistent revision of SS/RDBMS
> questions during the last 3-4 weeks which ended up not the most effective
> use of time.

Maybe less effective for *this* year. If you'd skimped on databases *last*
year, you would've been shredded into dog food.
ITA exams are like Melbourne's weather: just because it's sunny today,
you'd be a fool to leave the umbrella at home tomorrow.
Be prepared for everything in the current study design (including the
glossary) and the assessment handbook.

 I'd like to maximise the effectiveness of my student's time next year. Or
their efficiency...?  (Hopefully both.)

Based on this year's exam, knowing both would earn 4 marks at least  :-)

>  Hope all of your students achieved the results they deserved...

Good luck next year, Lucas.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

*I love the sound of people's voices after they stop talking.*

I, Mark Kelly, am entirely responsible for the offensive verbiage I spewed
forth in this post.
Have I offended anyone with this post?  I would not be surprised.
If offended, please whinge to me at the email address above.
Please leave poor Kevork alone.  It is not his fault.