[Year 12 IT Apps] Introduction - new teacher - and my thoughts on the exam

Garth, Lucas A garth.lucas.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 10 09:01:59 EST 2014

Hi

I've taken over as VCE IT teacher at Lalor SC and started at beginning of Term 4 teaching 2 classes of Apps (and 2 of Y11)

It's been good to read over the edulists and to get a better knowledge of the feelings of teachers at ground level. You have been generous to all who ask, and it's a credit to the profession.

On the exam, on my first lesson to students I'd only get to know for 10 lessons, I made a point of saying "how do you make a Study Design developed when iPods were cool relevant to one of the most fast changing areas of VCE study?"

My answer was fairly simple: more web design content, particularly for section B.

Did anyone feel surprised when they read the exam paper and didn't see one RDBMS/SS tick box 8 mark question?

My feelings on the exam (not overly relevant having only taught exam revision) is that the focus shifted markedly from how the Study Design was interpreted for the VCAA exams in 2011-2013.

As I'm teaching in 2015 as well, I'd like to know if VCAA gave any advice to teachers other than the normal review from the previous year's exam - knowledge of which made me drill the students on efficiency/effectiveness, but didn't stop me from giving students consistent revision of SS/RDBMS questions during the last 3-4 weeks which ended up not the most effective use of time.  I'd like to maximise the effectiveness of my student's time next year. Or their efficiency...?  (Hopefully both.)

Hope all of your students achieved the results they deserved...

Regards,
Lucas