[Year 12 IT Apps] Filemaker School License

Andrew Pate arp at mentonegrammar.net
Wed Jan 16 23:44:56 EST 2013

Hi Andrew
I used Open Office Base last year, as some of my students had Mac's and I wanted a solution that all the kids could go home and do stuff.

I would not make the same choice again.

We (I) found that while most things were fine, and some aspects pretty good, the lack of polish in the final product and the lack of a large community providing answers meant that some more advanced things, particularly with forms and queries were difficult to the point of "just forget it". Of course big learning curve for kids regardless, and for me - dont you love teaching one step ahead, gets the heart pumping.

While Access seems a bit of a napalm to kill a mozzi, there is a massive amount of help around, and the Mac kids - well at our school, there are plenty of PC's in the library! IF they are really desperate, there is VM and Bootcamp.

My two bits, hope it helps.

Andrew Pate
Mentone Grammar
Sent from my iPad