[Year 12 IT Apps] Hardware Failure

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 18:15:51 EST 2013

We have a Telstra junction pit on our home boundary. Internet performance
used to drop away during heavy rain and for about a week after. Call
Telstra, a few days later technical support  turns up, all tests OK,
everything is OK till next rainstorm. Repeat until annoyed.

Eventually they tracked it down. The junction pit had a huge ants' nest in
it, which acted like a giant sponge when it rained. It partially shorted
out the ADSL cable terminals, giving rise to ridiculous crosstalk and
signal loss. Took about a week to dry out.

The Telstra Guy Who Removes Ants Nests was in Brisbane, and working his way
around the country it seems, so I got a stick and slowly dragged it apart
and  out. A half-can of insect killer later - problem solved!

It was the only time I've debugged a hole in the ground.

kp