[Year 12 IT Apps] game development roadshow [Scanned] [Spam score:8%]

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Mar 30 09:28:50 EST 2012

Hi Maggie and all,

My 2c.

I must confess that I was quite interested when I saw the brochure - and my
Prin. handed me one as well (so they have cast the net wide!)

It is a paid session and goes for 2 hours and they mention software that
will be 'given?' to the students (but it is all free anyway - my
impression).  I did email them to ask them for more info and what I received
back was very vague and generic.  My feeling is that anything that you can
teach in 2 hours in the area of games design is going to be very 'surface'
and I imagine them showing lots of 'wow' media clips and saying 'hey you can
do this great stuff with this software' and here it is.

So my personal feeling about this is that it is not worth it - and I will be
steering clear (and not promoting it to my students at all).  But just to
emphasis - JUST MY OPINION!  It could be great and if anyone does promote it
/ send students along - it would be interesting to hear first hand.  I am
sceptical.

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian Janson B.Sc, Dip.Ed, M.Ed
eLearning Coordinator
Melbourne High School, Forrest Hill, South Yarra, Victoria 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au

Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au <http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au/>

Blog: http://jansona.edublogs.org <http://jansona.edublogs.org/>