[Year 12 IT Apps] Cloud computing (U4O2)

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Mar 16 08:44:59 EST 2012

Cloud computing...

centralise

decentralise

mainframe

personal computer

smartphones / tablets

In many ways, cloud computing is just new terminology for old concepts.

The real shift has come because internet access is now close to
ubiquitous.  Whereas 10 years ago, it was not always on for everyone at
useful speeds.

The "cloud" is a fluffy representation of the internet on a network
diagram. It's not a panacea.

Here's an interesting "cloud" concept to explore not covered in that
article: Jurisdiction.

Is your data ruled by the same laws you are if it lives on a server in
Singapore, Japan, US, Europe or Australia?  Currently large US based
cloud providers are lobbying Australian Government agencies NOT to worry
about Jurisdiction, because it contravenes the free trade agreement.
Apparently it's protectionist to demand Australian servers for
Australian data.

Is it?  Interesting ey?

cheers
Donna

On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 08:20 +1100, Mark KELLY wrote:
> This guy believes cloud computing is here to stay...
>
> http://www.wired.com/cloudline/2012/03/cloud-here-to-stay/
>
>       * According to AMD (1/12), 70 percent of businesses are either
>         using or investigating cloud computing solutions.
>       * According to an IBM survey (2011) of 2,000 midsize companies,
>         two-thirds were planning or had already deployed cloud-based
>         technologies, and 70 percent were actively pursuing
>         cloud-based analytics for greater insight and efficiency.
>       * 90 percent of Microsoft’s 2011 R&D budget was spent on cloud
>         computing strategy and products.
>       * In a 2011 Avanade-commissioned study of C-level executives
>         from 18 countries to learn how cloud computing is being used
>         in the enterprise, it found:
>               * 60% reported cloud computing as their highest IT
>                 priority.
>               * 74% are already using some form of cloud computing
>                 technology.
>               * 64% are investing in training new and current
>                 employees on their cloud expertise.
>       * Worldwide IT spending on cloud computing has increased more
>         than 25 percent from 2008 to 2012.
>       * 30% of small and mid-size businesses (SMBs) used cloud
>         software in 2011.
>       * A study by Mimecast in 2010 found that 70 pecent of companies
>         that were using cloud computing services are willing to and
>         will move new applications to the cloud.
>       * 48 percent of U.S. government agencies moved at least one
>         workflow to the cloud following the new requirement that
>         federal agencies adopt a “cloud-first” policy.
>       * 41 percent of senior executives say they are using or plan on
>         using some kind of private cloud.
>       * Cloud providers have increased personnel from nil in 2007 to
>         over 550,000 in 2010.
> Then he tackles arguments put against cloud computing...

> Manager of ICT, Reporting, IT Learning Area
> McKinnon Secondary College
> Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085, Fax +613 9578 9253
> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
> VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
> Moderator: IT Applications Edulist
>
> --
> Grammar for the 21st century...
> Infinitive: I sync my phone.
> Past tense: I sanc my phone.
> Past participle: I have sunc my phone.

Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au
ph +61 3 9326 9985 - mob +61 418 310 414