[Year 12 IT Apps] Perhaps off-topic - NASA City Lights 2012

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:04:46 EST 2012

Took me a little while to figure this out.

It isn't a bug and it isnt empty.  If you look to the RHS of Melbourne there is a similar cloud of lights in the ocean. These are the oil rigs. I have zoomed into them here.

Compare with this map
http://119.63.205.89/~baird/images/stories/WorkBoatWorld/2009-04/bassstraitfields.gif

My guess is that they have added some processing to enhance the lights or contribution of rural areas.

The expanse of lights you observed in WA probably relates to the lights in some of the mining areas and towns. Can anybody confirm this?

Regards Roland

Roland Gesthuizen | eLearning Leader
Keysborough College DEECD
http://about.me/rgesthuizen

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead