[Year 12 IT Apps] Do we really need CSS?

Davies, Brett bdavies at woodleigh.vic.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 20:01:01 EST 2010

Hi,

With due respect to the author of that article and those who think CSS is not the way to go.

CSS not only makes it much easier to make sitewide changes it is also faster, easier and more sensible to code and ensure cross browser compatibility than ANY web page using tables.

Its is very easy to cover the variety of browsers available and as new browser versions come out there is less and less time required to sort out differences in browser versions.

Note the the biggest issue was with IE6 which is almost unheard of now!!!

The biggest problems with cross browser compatibility (margins and padding) and CSS also exist when using tables

It makes so much more sense to use HTML to set up hierarchical organisation of content and the style sheet to handle the entire presentation.

If anyone is in any doubt as to the power and ease of CSS take a look at CSS Zengarden. This was a "competition" where entrants could attach a style sheet to a single HTML page which MUST remain untouched.  The results are quite amazing!

I have run my own competitions of CSS zengarden in my own classes at year 9 and 10 and the results are just as varied tho perhaps not quite as artistic! http://www.csszengarden.com

It is really worth the effort to learn and use CSS  and will serve u well as HTML 5 comes into vogue in the near future (HTML 5 is amazing)

Those thinking of using JOOMLA or Drupal next year will also benefit from learning this very easy "language", you will never look back!

Don't fight the improvements made just because there is an odd problem here and there, it is a far superior way of coding web sites and our students will benefit from learning it properly! Its not going to go away!

check out

http://www.cssvault.com
http://www.cssbeauty.com

Cheers