[Year 12 IT Apps] U4O2 KK09 (for 2011) - disaster recovery

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 4 12:18:29 EST 2010

I'd only worry if it were the bus drivers talking about your getting hit by
a bus.

If your root password is in your school safe, take it out and burn it.  Make
yourself indispensible  ;-)

On 4 November 2010 10:34, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com> wrote:

> They keep talking here about me getting hit by a bus .. makes me nervous at
> school around anything with more than four wheels.
>
> I can just imagine on the foot path, somebody holding my hand crying out
>  "the root password, the keys, quick .. hand them over." and as I float away
> into the cyber-clouds ".. check his pockets!".
>
> .. instead of "Alas poor Roland, we knew him well."
>
> Regards Roland
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Mike Brookes <mikebr at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
>>  G'Day people,
>> If you consider that an information system comprises more than just the
>> data. then problems with any part of the system should probably form part of
>> the disaster recovery plan (hereafter referred to as DRP). Whilst students
>> might not be expected to discuss at great length what to do if the network
>> manager has a heart attack and drops dead, the DRP should consider
>> alternative premises as well as computer replacement and restoring data
>> backups in case of total loss due to fire etc.
>>
>> My 3c worth taking into account inflation + rate increase
>>
>> Mike Brookes chief cook and bottlewasher Copperfield college.
>>

>> On 3/11/2010 1:10 PM, Mark KELLY wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.  Having seen a couple of (what I consider) dodgy questions about
>> data disaster recovery plans, I am a little concerned about key knowledge
>> dotpoint 9 of U4O2 next year: "disaster recovery strategies and the testing
>> of these strategies".  It's not significantly improved from the existing
>> U4O2 KK05 which also refers to 'disaster recovery strategies'.
>>
>> The dodgy questions were discussing things like rebuilding after fires,
>> sweeping up the mess etc.  In other words, disasters rather than *data *disasters,
>> which is our territory.
>>
>> I hope VCAA examiners and SAC writers read the dotpoint as "*data*disaster recovery strategies and the testing of these strategies" to avoid
>> irrelevant non-ICT questions and student responses.

>> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
>> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
>> Teachers Association Inc

> http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au

> change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
> Mead

Manager Information Systems
Reporting Manager
IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist

My cow died on this day two years ago.  I know because I noted it in my
dairy.