[Year 12 IT Apps] RNetbooks and Tech support

Schultz, Gary I schultz.gary.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon May 18 14:05:24 EST 2009

Hello  I am Gary Schultz the IT coordinator at East Loddon P-12 College.
We have 220 students from Preps to Yr 12 ,  93 PC's, 27 staff laptops
(plus Library and Admin networks) and 20 Yr 6 Netbooks. The Netbooks are
a Regional initiative provided to all Yr 6 students throughout the
Loddon Mallee region. We have only had the Netbooks this term but they
are already a constant drain on my techs time and on mine. Our TSSP
allotment is 5.3 hours per week. We have had no additional ongoing
(tech) time added with these new Netbooks.

Our admin is  thinking of providing our 35 VCE students next year with a
Laptop each, so next year  l will have 55 Netbooks and laptops that l
didn't have at the beginning of this year. There is also a possibility
that next Year's Sixes may also be given Netbooks ( possibly 75
Netbooks/Laptops more than this year)

Other than increasing my productivity a suggestion from the Principal,
what sought of increased Tech time should l be looking for ( l teach 17
out of 30 lessons and don't want to reduce my teaching allotment)? Also
how do state schools employ additional tech's and what source of funding
do they use for these positions?

Thanks Gary