[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: Rudd Money and Off Topic discussion

Graham Gales gales.graham.w at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 4 10:35:53 EST 2008

G'day ....

OT content appears every so often and can look as though it will overtake
the ITA content ... But, IMHO, generally it fades away in a short time and,
as stated in another email, nearly all OT content here relates to ICT issues
and events occurring in or relevant to Education/ schools, not the usual OT
of sport, sex, politics, etc.  No OT thread seems to last more than a couple
of days and many people who respond to OT threads often invite other
interested parties to respond to them off-list.

Personally I am happy with the way the list operates at present and do not
see OT material as affecting my use of the list.

Graham Gales
Bright P-12 College

On 9/4/08 10:19 AM, "Mark Kelly" <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Adrian.  I'm sympathetic - I go OT myself occasionally because this
> is where most of the people are - but lengthy OT threads do pollute the
> purpose of the list, and they do annoy people.
>
> I don't mind deleting the occasional OT, but when they drown out
> legitimate postings they kill the reason for coming here.  People are
> here because the list is useful to their ITA needs.  Reduce that
> usefulness, and people leave.
>
> Usenet has long known this problem, and the only Usenet groups that tend
> to thrive nowadays are the moderated ones.
>
> I've maintained a loose hold on the reins here, allowing minor and brief
> OT threads, especially if topics are hot and urgent (e.g. reporting or
> Rudd at certain times).  But continuous OT is a different matter.
>
> At the risk of sparking an OT flood, what do Kevork and other people
> here think?

<snip>