[Year 12 IT Apps] virutalising in MAC OS

Hutchison, Geoffrey G hutchison.geoffrey.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Aug 1 22:40:40 EST 2008

For the life of me, I don't know why you would use a virtual environment
to run Windows. The MacBooks are designed to be dual boot, with Windows
installed on a second partition. There is no need to spend $'s on a
licence for the virtual software, nor any worry about the Windows
licencing. There is no site licence that covers Windows OS's; just
upgrades. (You will find that Windows available under "Work at Home"
conditions is not permitted to be installed on DEEDC provided
notebooks.)

We have been notified that a Windows XP Sp3 image for the MacBooks is on
the way, but has been delayed by a Symantec conflict issue.

So, a little patience, all will be good, with either OS running native -
i.e. quick without any issues. And under proper licencing arrangements.

cheers,

Geoff Hutchison,

SNR/IT Manager/Coordinator,

McGuire College,