[Year 12 IT Apps] copyright

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Tue Feb 6 12:03:11 EST 2007

Dear colleagues,

  As mailing list administrator I need to ask all subscribers to
consider a number of points related to the matter of Mark's copyright
issue with the VCAA keeping in mind none of us are lawyers and the VCAA
employs copyright people who presumably do this all day and are qualified
lawyers or equivalent in the field.

   Paula has promptly and comprehensively given us an explanation
regarding the issues involved with Mark's website. I assume this has
been after taking advice from the copyright people to ensure compliance.
It would be prudent to consider these points before we formulate a
response that may or may be not entirely legal.
For example, to publicly discuss ways of circumventing copyright laws
may not only get the author into hot water but also the host of the
mailing lists.
Netiquette guideline 5 on edulists states :  recognise ownership of
intellectual resources.

 I am the first to acknowledge Mark has put blood , sweat and tears into
his work and that deserves our collective praise and thanks. Our
energies need to be focussed on how he can continue to do this without
any breaches of copyright laws as alleged by the VCAA rather than how to
circumvent the laws.

To that end,it may be wise for us to take a step back , and consider
that the VCAA have stated they have a procedure whenever we wish to use
VCAA copyright material, and this is set out via the request form on the
VCAA website. Perhaps the pathway would be by filling in and submitting
the form to request permission.

Best Wishes