[Year 12 IT Apps] thank you all!

David Robinson robinson.david.s at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Dec 14 12:14:44 EST 2007

Hello fellow educators,

I have been on the "teacher lists" since they first started with Kevork, and the only "active" list then was the former Info Systems teachers group. I have only contributed comments very occasionally (maybe once or twice a year at most) but have enjoyed "eavesdropping" from the sidelines, even during my various periods of long-service leave. Anyway, after 33 years in the classroom at 3 schools, I have decided to take the "54-11" option and have resigned as a government secondary teacher.

I first taught computers as a part of the old "General Maths Computing Option" at Karingal High School, then later as the new HSC "Computer Science" subject at Wellington High School. I still have memories of using 5.25-inch floppies and even 8-inch floppies on an old TurboDos CP/M system with DBase and Wordstar, of trying to learn assembly language and understand logic circuits, and of trying to teach a whole class with ONE Apple II computer and ONE card reader - happy days! Now, after 20 years at Patterson River SC (formerly Seaford-Carrum) taking all the various incarnations of the VCE computer offerings, I would like to acknowledge the wonderful support which I have enjoyed from the teaching community.

I would like to thank Kevork and Adrian and VITTA and Keith Richardson and Don Morelli and all the other wonderful people that have helped me through my transformation from a maths teacher to an ICT educator, with a special thank you to Janet Bane at my own school. I hope to teach a 0.6 reduced load as a contract teacher in 2008, and then hang up my chalk, textas, and laptop for good. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all of you hardworking educators!

best regards,

David Robinson
Patterson River Secondary College