[Year 12 IT Apps] Edutainment

Anne-Marie Chase rie at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 13 10:19:47 EST 2007

Hello All

I have only recently joined the IP&M list after an absence of some years I
seem to have come in part way through a very interesting discussion on the
relationship between students informal use of digital technologies and use
of technology in school.   This is a very timely discussion.

I am currently studying at the University of Western Australia and looking
for schools to participate in my research. I have included some blurb below
about the research and wondered if you might be interested?

The title of the study is "Digital Technology In- and Out-of-School:  A
Comparative Study of the Nature and Levels of Student Use and Engagement"

A major consequence of the advent of the technological age is that young
people today live in a 'techno culture'. Students' experiences with
technology outside of school are likely to be at least as important for
predicting student outcomes as their experiences in school.  As a result,
any questions of relationships between technology use and student outcomes
must take account of uses in both settings.

The overarching aims of this research are to describe and compare the nature
and complexity of students' digital technology experiences in- and
out-of-school within Australia, and to explore whether these experiences act
as significant predictors of students school engagement.

It is hoped that the outcomes of the research will help educators to better
align students' in- and out-of-school experiences, and thus to capitalise on
students' motivation and interest in using digital technologies.

The research involves gathering data via surveys, from students in years
7 -12 (approx 25 students from any year level). There are four different
surveys: School, Student, Parent & Teacher.  The questions include general
background information about the students and their parents and how they use
technology.  There are questions for the student about how engaged they are
at school and what they think of technology and then the teacher survey asks
similar questions about the students levels of engagement.

In the trials I have carried out the students have found it interesting just
considering what they can and can't do with technology and how the use of
technology for their own use has impacted on their lives.

It's a thought provoking survey and if you are interested in participating I
will be more than happy to provide feedback.

I have received University Ethics clearance and approval for my application
to the Department of Education and Training to conduct research in Victorian
Government Schools.  The school principals are required to give permission
for the research to be conducted in the school, and consent forms will need
to be signed by students, parents and teachers

I realise participating in research like this can be yet another time demand
when as a teacher you already have so much to do, however you will all be
aware of the extensive technology skill range students develop informally,
research that can enable us to build on this is valuable to both students
and their teachers.

If you are interested in participating or would like further details please
let me know.

Kind Regards

Anne-Marie Chase
chasea01 at student.uwa.edu.au