[Year 12 IT Apps] Task 3 I'm still confused

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Aug 2 12:38:47 EST 2007

Dear Mark and colleagues

I assume that this email was directed at me, though it is a little
presumptuous for me to say I am 'VCAA'.

I hope that this information is of some assistance.

The intention of task 3 is for students to demonstrate their thinking
when solving this problem. It is designed to help them create their
solution so it should be developed as their solution develops.

The task is not intended to be done at the end of the SAC - that would
be the same as creating a design after you have finished the solution
and product. It is a thinking exercise, which is used to help students
make decisions about how they are meeting the needs of an organisation
through the creation of their solution.

For the students and the teachers it shows the underpinnings of student
thinking. It is an attempt to reveal how and why particular decisions
are made by the student, rather than only revealing to you what actions
were taken. Understanding one's thinking processes is such as valued
skill in industry, and it supports the notion of lifelong learning.

Using whatever software students like, they can show/articulate, for
example,
. what problems/challenges/dilemmas are being faced (being a SAC they do
not have to show every problem; this is important, because they only
have to provide you with enough evidence for you to make an informed
judgment - they do not have to sustain a performance)
. what are the options for solving the problem
. what are the consequences of the options, if selected.

It is important that students do not repeat this process for every
decision.

It is not prescribed how this representation of thinking should be
created. Students could use a graphic organiser template such as two
that I am attaching (POOCH - problem, options, outcomes, choices; and
Possibilities-Consequences-Decision); an organic tool such as a concept
map/thinking map tool, such as the Intel 'seeing reason' [a cause and
effect tool]; Rationale (AusThink) cmap, Inspiration etc. Students could
word process their thinking representations or they could use a tool
such as Visio.

As an example, a problem/challenge may have been what form of user
documentation to use. Students could then list the possible options
(maybe as text boxes, bubbles etc. For each option they would identify
the likely outcomes if selected, and nominate (for example, through
colour coding) their choice. etc

I am listing some further reading on visualising thinking for those who
have the time or inclination. And, I also thank Antonia for the work
that she has just posted on the list.

Further reading

Jonassen, D 1999, Computers as Mindtools for Engaging Critical Thinking
and Representating Knowledge Keynote address.
http://www.moe.gov.sg/edumall/mpite/edtech/papers/keynote_1.pdf

Jonassen, D 1998 'Constructivist Learning Environments on the Web:
Engaging Students in Meaningful Learning'
http://www.moe.gov.sg/edumall/mpite/edtech/papers/d1.pdf

Wong, P and Williams, M 1999, Beyond Drill and Practice: Exploring IT
tools for thinking
http://www.moe.gov.sg/edumall/mpite/edtech/abstract_h7.html

Intel
http://www97.intel.com/en/ThinkingTools/SeeingReason/Overview/