[Year 12 IT Apps] apology -- from the Administrator

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 1 12:36:43 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

  Once again we are getting into difficulty with the loose use of language.

In more informal circles we may see the use of such language

eg. Are you pinching school property ( someone uses blank photocopy paper for a non photocopy use )
      Are you telling tales ? ( someone reports on a current news story or about a student )
      Are you spinning a line ? (  are you being vague, careless, lazy, or worse deceptive, manipulative, dishonest )
      Don't be a mongrel and share the X or Y resources with the rest of us  ( you are nasty and undesirable for not sharing  )

   The list goes on and on and on ...........

  The last thing I would want is to have every post dissected literally as if we were in a courtroom. Too much stress.

   A lot of work has gone into lifting the standard of TSSP ( Government schools Technical support to Schools program ) service provision since its inception in 2000.
   Just like there are good, bad, indifferent teachers so too we find a range of expertise and performance with TSSPs. There have been teachers who have been charged with criminal
offences and I know of TSSPs who likewise have been charged with such offences. Sad, but the reality.

  There are also different standards at different workplaces.
eg . Some workplaces run with a clear hierarchy of " who works for who" and others are more informal and relaxed. Some places jump when the principal walks in and others are more laid back.
The work still gets done in both situations.

  Technicians are not the whipping boys ( or girls ) for all technical wish lists or problems as there are many different configurations that can work for any school.
This is not to suggest anyone has intended they are the doormat in a school with any message sent out.

  I think Peter makes a number of valid points in a very measured and considered email. Robyn has also acted professionally and appropriately by publically withdrawing any comments that
could be misconstrued as being a direct criticism of the technician.

  If we could just stick to the subject matter without the embellishments that seem to be causing the offence we will all be the better for it.

  I would hate to see these lists degenerate into what is described by Peter as :
" ....It's when this media is used to pass judgment on other
people's integrity and character, especially when the list members have
never set eyes on the subject or have the full facts of the matter that
you have to question just how productive the list really is. "

  I would hope we can continue to make the lists as productive as we can with mutual respect for everyone we work with, for and around.

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> "Atalla, Peter P" <Atalla.Peter.P at edumail.vic.gov.au> 1/08/2007 11:15 am >>>
Over the past few days I have been reading comments on this list about
the TSP at camberwell so lets just be clear about what we are talking
about.  Here is the original message:

"We are also a govt school and have edumail. My TSSP says we can't have
Outlook because we would all have to maintain our individual profiles
which we would find too complicated to manage. Is he spinning me a line?
What has edumail got to do with outlook?"

The ONLY, and I stress ONLY, part of this message which is more hurtful
than offensive is the question "Is he spinning me a line?".  According
to usingenglish.com "Spinning a line" means "When someone spins you a
line, they are trying to deceive you by lying." (URL
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/spinning+a+line.html).  Who
here on this list is really in a position to answer this with the amount
of information that was given in the post?

"You were not insulting him/her.  You were getting a "second opinion".
I have to disagree with this.  The only time that this question would
not be insulting is if the subject in question had no self respect or
morals.

I am astounded that people feel that this is acceptable and that the TSP
is being "touchy" given that "Your TSSP works for YOU" and this message
went out to the TSP's peers and colleges.  Obviously there is not a
world wide standard for professionalism but with the people that I have
discussed this matter with it was not considered good form.  How would
you feel if comments like this were made about you to your peers BY YOUR
BOSS in a public forum?

TSPs don't know everything about computers and we are usually the first
to admit that.  Lists such as this one are a great resource for ideas
and exchange of technical information and TSPs encourage their use for
this purpose.  It's when this media is used to pass judgment on other
people's integrity and character, especially when the list members have
never set eyes on the subject or have the full facts of the matter that
you have to question just how productive the list really is.

There are many different network configurations throughout Victorian
government schools and what works in one network may not necessarily be
the best for another.  I encourage Robyn to post some more information
about the network at camberwell so that she can get some feedback that
is relevant to her site.

P.