[Year 12 IT Apps] Outcome 2 task - query???

margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Mon Apr 2 17:58:14 EST 2007

Joseph (and others)

My understanding is that yes the kids need to understand what virtual
collaboration is all about, but for the SAC the kids have to produce a
prototype web site using their web publishing tool.

I am not getting my kids to create a blog or wiki for the SAC itself, but
as part of the learning towards the SAC the kids need to understand the
pro's and con's between all the technology that can be used for
collaboration - blogs, wiki's, discussion forums, netmeeting,
videoconferencing, email and some of the integrated packages like
Microsoft Groove. The need to understand the pro's and con's of these
tools in order to recommend to their client a solution as part of their
prototype web site. (at least that is my understanding)

I got my kids to work through the VITTA CD 'Fast Feet' SAC (as a practice
SAC). We worked out that of the three virtual teams that were identified
in the SAC (Management, Advertising and Production) different virtual
collaborative tools would be used for each group as they had different
needs.

A few examples:

Management
-might use videoconferencing/netmeeting to conduct monthly meetings
-might want a discussion forum space to discuss agendas, reports and
proposals

Advertising
-might use a wiki to collaboratively put together an advertising strategy
for the new products coming out
-might use discussion forums to gain feedback from the company or focus
groups in regards to advertising proposals

Production
-might use video conferencing for meetings
-might use a blog to document the development of a prototype sneaker for
children
(as per the case study)

A blanket blog or wiki answer wouldn't actually meet the needs of the
client or their organisation.

I expected my kids to pick which virtual collaborative tools would meet
the information needs of the various teams and then as part of their
prototype produce either a mock-up page or screen dumps to demonstrate to
the client their solution. Yes there was a lot of conceptual work here,
but the kids had to think about the needs of the virtual teams.

Most kids produced a web site with a login prompt which took me to a page
which showed what tools were available to each group in the company. Some
did this with a mock-up page, others used photoshop to show what the 'Fast
Feet' Intranet might look like. What I was looking for was understanding
and the ability to communicate that understanding to the client.

I will post more links etc when I return from Japan *wee*

Regards

Margaret