[Year 12 IT Apps] Outcome 2 task - query???

Joseph Papaleo josephpapaleo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:20:16 EST 2007

Just wondering how others are progressing with this task?

The more I look at the Assessment guide, the more I think that I should
teach my class how to

   1. use Dreamweaver - teach them how to create webpages and a website.
   Useful for this task and Unit 4, Outcome 1.
   2. setup their own blog (http://edublogs.org then setup a learner
   blog).  This blog will EASILY allow collaborative learning and knowledge
   sharing
   3. setup their own wiki
(http://www.wikispaces.com/<http://www.wikispaces.com/site/for/teachers>)
   This wiki allows for EASY collaboratiaon and again knowledge
sharing<http://www.wikispaces.com/site/for/teachers>
   4. if time permits, setup their own bliki or bloki when I find a good
   one that is easy enough to use.  If you haven't heard of a bliki, it is a
   combination of blogs and wikis that allow for true collaboration but as it
   is fairly new, I have not yet found one that seems easy enough to use.
   bloki.com wasn't working last time I tried.  Anyone know of one?

As a former Dreamweaver user who needs to attend a refresher course next
week, I can see how a static page allows information to be shared.
Collaborative problem solving can be achieved through e-mail and forums.  Is
this enough to "solve" the task?

My dilemma:  If one of my students created a blog or wiki for their SAC
task, then I can't see how they can be wrong with the task description given
at the top of Page 18 in the IT Assessment Handbook.  However, the 2nd dot
point in the "Designing the Assessment Task" asks them to apply appropriate
software capabilities of web authoring software, as published in the VCAA
Bulletin etc.  According to the VCAA Bulletin #43 (November 2006), it
states:

> Note that the VCAA list is not exhaustive; learning and assessment does
> not have to be confined to the functions listed.

Is there anything I have missed that will create a problem for me or my
class if we use blogs or wikis or blikis?  I can't see one (yet), but as the
course is new, I wanted to make sure.
And yes, I called Paula, but she wasn't available.
Thanks in advance,

Joseph Papaleo

Computers & 21C Eduk8n
http://papajo.edublogs.org