[Year 12 Its] 2D animation

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Jun 4 20:11:48 EST 2006

Flash would be good for 2D animation, its pretty much the benchmark, dont know the cost of a site licence.

Gamemaker can do 2D animation too. With use of the alarm event and animated sprites, Gamemaker can do animation. There is a perception that Gamemaker is less suitable for serious art but I think that this is a misconception, simply because Gamemaker comes with some very basic images (sprites). Gamemaker has a bitmap editor like paint and can import many graphics formats including scanned pen and ink which can then be coloured with a graphics program. This is the usual method for generating quality computer art.

The free unregistered version of Gamemaker would be OK, the registered version costs around $300 for a site licence, its good if you can support Mark Overmars' efforts by registering.

The Screen It 2006 competition will have an animation category for primary, yrs 7-10 & yrs 11-12. I hope that it will be announced soon