[Year 12 Its] VELS and IT

frankm at sjcs.melb.catholic.edu.au frankm at sjcs.melb.catholic.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 18:32:46 EST 2006

Thanks Robert,
I assume you see no merit in learning programming, or robotics? Do you believe using the "tool" well means having students being taught the basics of ICT in several different ways by several different teachers in other KLAs where the teachers have little or no interest in teaching ICT skills? I see the work produced in many KLAs..masses of Word Art, no formatting to speak of, backup procedures unheard of, and of course, how could I forget, the hand written name on the hard copy. Some knowledge about how IT works would surely be beneficial in our schools. I am sure you would not be surprised, but there are many students who love knowning about how the hardware works.

Far too often, the excuses used will be "could not get into a computer room"..or..."we ran out of time". What happens is that those students in classes where ICT skills are taught well will be advantaged; those in classes where the teachers are not so keen miss out. Is this the sort of basic ICT foundation we want for our studnents?

Regards,
Frank