[Year 12 Its] RE: [Year 12 IPM] Digital storage devices - Acceptable usage policy

Joel Walton ixoye1973 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 2 12:45:17 EST 2006

Hello Damien,

Yes
 welcome to a class example of technology moving
ahead of rules and school policies.  I don’t have the
answers to all of you questions but I can tell you how
we deal with it at our school.

1.	Theft of devices.
a.	We spell out the possibilities of lost equipment
and we deal with it like any other lost item.
b.	Students are not to rely on the USB as the sole
back-up device in case it is lost/stolen/broken.  If
that occurs their work is still due the same as
always, they need to realise that technology and
circumstances are not always just or fair.  They can
always backup and store on the network drive.
2.	Software piracy
a.	Still working on
b.	Just keeping an eye on
 if they breach then we take
action
 but this is a reactive instead of a proactive
approach (which I don’t like)
3.	Using devices to listen to music
a.	I work on the premise that you can have the storage
device in class
 but as soon as you put in headphones
it’s mine.  The device is for data/work storage and
transfer not a portable jukebox for class
 This is
what I have proposed to the staff as a whole and the
feedback is positive
4.	Educational value
a.	The educational value is purely transportation
nothing more.  It only aids in students getting
information to and from school to work at home.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joel Walton
Technology KLA