[Year 12 Its] Computer Clubs - iEARN

Judy Barr judybarr at iearn.org.au
Sun Feb 26 20:07:41 EST 2006

Hi John
I run a lunchtime group called iEARN. The students are involved in online
discussions with students around the world. there are approximately 110
countries involved and there are oodles of different projects that the
students can become involved in. I find it particularly appeals to girls,
which complements the programming suggestion that you have already had. I
facilitate a project called Kindred, which involves students interviewing
relatives about an event in their life that has been affected by world
history.

The students really enjoy the Youth Forum, where they can discuss topics of
interest to teenagers. This can vary from favourite TV shows, music, leisure
activities to discussion of the Danish cartoon that has caused so much
controvery. Students can discuss this with kids from coutnries such as Iran,
Egypt, Pakistan, USA and so on. I felt real success when one of my students
said it was "better than MSN." It really appealed that she can post a
message and receive a reply from so many different locations around the
world and is not so reliant on the people that she knows. The discussions
are not done in real time but topics of interest can receive dozens of
replies.

There are lots of other projects that involve Language, Culture, Science and
so on. please take a look at the international website www.iearn.org or the
Australian website www.iearn.org.au for more information.

Judy Barr
Head of ICT