[Year 12 Its] Linux v XP

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Feb 16 10:50:38 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:00:09PM +1100, Guy Flaherty wrote:
> You can also build a VM Ware install of linux that can be downloaded onto a
> machine or added to an image. All you need is the free VM Player installed
> and then you can run Linux from inside of windows! It is a little slow at
> times, depends mostly on the amount of system RAM. If you just want to let
> students have a look at linux in a non-threating way, this is really good.
> If they mess up in any way you just delete the one VM disk file and then
> copy it back onto the machine. This way you can have a full install running
> without any hardware problems or worrying about reinstalling or
> losing/forgetting disks. We are using it on the lab computers and on the
> student laptops. Works well with SuSE 10 and KDE.

Guy,

some questions.

1) What kind of hardware are you using to make this arrangement fly?

2) What are you gaining from using SuSE 10? Are there apps that you need
   which you can't get for Windows? Or are you just showing the students a
   new desktop?

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)