[Year 12 Its] Linux v XP

Guy Flaherty g.flaherty at xavier.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 19:00:09 EST 2006

You can also build a VM Ware install of linux that can be downloaded onto a
machine or added to an image. All you need is the free VM Player installed
and then you can run Linux from inside of windows! It is a little slow at
times, depends mostly on the amount of system RAM. If you just want to let
students have a look at linux in a non-threating way, this is really good.
If they mess up in any way you just delete the one VM disk file and then
copy it back onto the machine. This way you can have a full install running
without any hardware problems or worrying about reinstalling or
losing/forgetting disks. We are using it on the lab computers and on the
student laptops. Works well with SuSE 10 and KDE.

Cheers,
Guy Flaherty
g.flaherty at xavier.vic.edu.au