[Year 12 Its] 2005 VITTA Sample paper 2 - Feedback

Frank Van Den Boom vandenboomfj at aquinas.vic.edu.au
Sat Sep 17 11:25:26 EST 2005

My IS group did the 2005 VITTA Sample 2 paper the other day and I just finished correcting it, so thought I would share some brief feedback if you were considering using it.

Firstly, thanks to VITTA for preparing these samples. There were lots of good questions to help with revision.

Here are some cautions/comments/questions:

The space provided in the answer booklet for some questions was inadequate – this mainly involved answers presented in a table format. Tell your students not to be constrained by the table space.

Sec A Q 2 – Sample answers state that only one PC has access to the scanner. While I don’t think an OS like Windows XP directly supports networking of scanners connected to a PC, there is software available to allow all PC’s to get to the scanner. Don’t know about Linux etc So the correct answer could be either one PC or all.

Sec B Q5 – this was an unfortunate question. Far more difficult than I would expect on a Nov paper. To be honest, I did not fully understand parts of the algorithm myself, though it did not stop me from answering the questions. While I know the algorithm question is not generally handled well, I suspect this would be beyond a few of the better students as well.

Some of my kids found the missing ‘Endif’ at the end of the algorithm, so that provided a good lesson on logical vs syntax errors. I did not find the logical error given in the solution, but I think there is another one in the input statement (around line 14 of code) which has the variable ‘transponder.id(position)’. This should be ‘transponder.id(position+1)’ because of the Position ß Position-1 statement just before it.

Sec B Q 8- I did not agree with Reason 2 in the solutions. While the statement is true, I don’t consider it a reason why the data should be removed after 21 days.

Sec B Q 12 - The question says ‘in addition to backup and restore procedures…” and then includes ‘how to restore all servers’ in the answers. I can only guess at what is meant by a ‘data disaster plan’. Is it the same as a ‘disaster recovery plan’?

Frank