[Year 12 Its] textbook Navigating IS - new edition

Rob Attrill attrill.robert.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Sep 9 13:46:48 EST 2005

Greetings all,

A review copy of a new editon (3rd) of Navigating IS has landed in my
pigeonhole at school. I'm a bit bemused by this. The second edition was
published only last year and we are entering the last year of the
current curriculum cycle.

There is no preface to explain the need for a new addition (which I
would expect under the circumstances) and at a quick glance, the only
difference is that the page references are slightly different in the
latter sections. The content appears to be unchanged. I thought perhaps
that the author had patched up some of the annoying website references
that were already out of date in the current edition, but the new
edition still has the same out-of-date references (at least, the ones I
checked).

On the face of it, it seems that all we achieve with this sort of new
edition is to possibly deprive current students of the resale value of
their textbook.

I'm inclined to let current students sell their books to next year's
students and live with the inconvenience of a year where I have two
editions of the book in my classroom. I'm not too sure I'll want to
continue with this textbook after that.

Any comments?

Rob Attrill
Mill Park Secondary College