[Year 12 Its] REALbasic 4 Mac, Win & now Linux

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Jun 17 10:00:39 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 15:20 +1000, tonym school wrote:
> Hi all
> 2 key questions for me are:

Hmm, good questions...

> Is Real Basic an approved language for Info Sys?

Yes! REALbasic was listed in the June 2002 Bulletin as an approved
language for IS in 2003...
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/correspondence/bulletins/2002/june/02junbul.pdf
"The approved programming languages for 2005 remain the same as those
published in the June 2002 VCE Bulletin."

The relevant bit says...
Information Systems
Approved programming languages for 2003
Students will use one programming language from the accompanying list,
to develop purpose-designed software.

In the development of this software, students should be able to:
• develop a graphical user interface (GUI) for use either within an
organisation or external to it
• construct and use data structures, for example arrays, strings, sets,
lists, tables, records and stacks
• design, construct and use files to store and retrieve data
• design and apply data-validation techniques
• use program control structures: selection, iteration and sequencing.

The purpose-designed software will entail the use of objects, methods
and their properties, and event-driven programming.

List of approved languages
      Delphi
      Visual Basic (not Visual Basic for Applications)/REALbasic
      Visual C++
      OpenScript
      Hypertalk
      Visual Dbase
      Visual FoxPro
      Javascript, VBScript, Jscript
      Visual J, Java
      Perl, PHP, Python

Teachers of Information Systems should note that the list of approved
programming languages is revised each year and is published in the VCE
BULLETIN.

> Can it be used to put a "front end" on Excel Spreadsheets? - My
> understanding is that this is done a fair bit with VB and Excel in some Info
> Sys courses.

Yes!  And that's according to Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/resources.aspx?pid=fordevelopers
REALbasic is the powerful, easy to use tool for creating software on the
Mac. Even if you have never programmed before, you can use REALbasic to
create all types of software, including applications that automate
Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Any application you create with
REALbasic can use Office Automation to control Microsoft Word, Excel and
PowerPoint.