[Year 12 IPM] formats & conventions

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 26 16:48:56 EST 2005

Hi Margaret

I tell my kids that formats are totally different to conventions.

Formats define how information is structured and laid out (e.g. in a
graph, a table, as text, as a web page, as an icon).

Most conventions indicate how information is formatted or presented
(e.g. bold headings, right-justified columns of numbers, using page
numbering, underlined web links, how envelopes are addressed).
Other conventions dictate what content appears, such as the Tax Office's
mandatory conventions on what has to appear for a piece of paper to pass
as a legitimate tax invoice.

So, a table is a FORMAT for presenting statistics.  Right-aligning the
columns of numbers in the table, using bold row/column headings and
providing row/column totals would be CONVENTIONS.

Fusinato, Margaret M wrote:
> I still have students who seem to mix up formats and conventions. Has
> anyone created a list that clearly lists examples of formats separate to
> examples of conventions? The document I have lists formats and
> conventions for various publications under the joint heading without
> separating the two.
>
> Margaret Fusinato
> Trafalgar High School

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com