[Year 12 IPM] Nested IFs

Emma Coughlan aunty_em21 at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 15:06:11 EST 2005

Thank you everyone for all the head aches err help on
excel ;)

I am not the best at excel :( the Vlookup is
different, I don't really understand it, I think I
will have to look at it over the weekend and try to
work it out.

I do like my nested ifs :)

Thanks for the help has certainly given my brain some
food for thought :)

Emma Coughlan
St Helena Secondary College
Eltham
--- "Sheard, Brian B"

http://spreadsheets.about.com/cs/excelfunction1/a/nestediffunct.htm

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/if_nested.htm

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/macros/if_custom.htm

>  > Question:  I have a formula in Excel that I am
> using to test for 7
>  > conditions, and each condition if true will
> return a different value.
>  > However, I now need to test a total of 12
> possible values.  The
>  > limitation of the nested IFs is that you can only
> nest up to 7.  Is
>  > there an alternative to this formula to test so
> that I can test for 12
>  > values instead of 7?
>
>  >

=IF(A1="10X12",120,IF(A1="8x8",64,IF(A1="6x6",36,IF(A1="8x10",80,IF(A1="14x16",224,IF(A1="9x9",81,IF(A1="4x3",12)))))))

>  > Answer:  There is no built-in alternative formula
> in Excel, but you
>  > could write your own function in VBA and then
> call this new function
>  > instead.
>
> Or you could (again) use vlookup...

=== message truncated ===

Enjoy your day as you never know whats around the corrner