[Year 12 IPM] ICT in the Essential Learning Standards

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 00:30:24 EST 2005

I think the problem with ICT in the curriculum is more dramatic and
conceptual than the "interdisciplinary nature" of ICT.

Software is a medium for storing / transforming knowledge - there have only
been a few such mediums in human history: machines, books, DNA, stuff like
that. Software is the latest and arguably the fastest, most efficient, most
flexible, evocative etc. yet.

ICT, for want of a better descriptor, cannot just be added onto the existing
curriculum or integrated with it because software - the whole phenomenon of
"being digital" - represents a brand new way of doing everything.

At this stage only the enthusiasts "get it" and they are the people found
here, on ICT lists. They are a minority in schools but will carry the
message into schools as best they can. Our numbers will grow, there is no
doubt about that.

In the meantime, School (big S) will try to adapt and constrain the computer
to make it fit the existing curriculum through sheer inertia, silly buggers
and other means. Nothing new there.

No solution is adequate because we are in the middle of a paradigm shift but
the best available solution for government would be to give the ICT
enthusiasts as much power and encouragement as possible. Sooner or later it
will happen, in the meantime the policy from the hierarchy could make a big
difference but I don't think the hierarchy "gets it" either.

Maybe in India and China the hierarchy does get it, they seem to be powering
along while the West is scratching it's head wondering why.
--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/