[Year 12 IPM] OT - Printing Policy

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 1 21:32:16 EST 2005

Ouch - your pay per print will end up costing me money Mark!!

We had free printing until 2001 when we brought in pay per print - we were sick of kids printing out the whole world wide web and not even bothering to collect it from the printer!

We have successfully used GAIA since Feb 2004, and have recently installed the latest version - which does inform via a popup when your printing credit goes down to $1.50 (or thereabouts) Certainly great software!

We leave it to the kids (and staff) to choose which printer they print to, especially now we have made the colour printers available from any PC in the school, and when they claim that nothing printed out but they have no credit left, we have a record in GAIA so we can say to them "you printed it to the colour laser in C22 - at 50 cents per copy" A steep learning curve for many but it's amazing how when something hurts the hip pocket they don't make the same mistake twice! If only I could say the same for staff - some of whom have somehow got the colour laser as the default printer on their laptop, and they just hit the print icon multiple times and wonder why it is not coming out of the printer they are sitting beside. One staff member printed out a 75 page (approx) black text document 3 or 4 times on the colour laser before he ran out of credit and wandered off to see our tech.

Personally I avoid the printing issue altogether by making my kids submit everything they do via the intranet. Way to GO!

Cheers
Ros Meadows
TONS
Bentleigh Secondary College