[Year 12 IPM] raw xhtml, css, javascript pathway

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 18:31:57 EST 2005

thanks keith, robert,

the raw xhtml, css, javascript pathway is more difficult than a visual
editor but it does potentially open a real pathway into developing web apps,
eg. AJAX is a big new buzzword

for me it's important that students grasp the concept of markup - markup is
crucial but not really hard, it's not programming - I see a danger in using
visual editors that the fundamental importance of markup might be lost or
not even noticed

these sort of decisions are important at the outset IMO - there are many
distractions around, for students and teachers, so I think it's best to
identify fundamentals on day one and pursue them

one way to teach CSS is by templating - give the students a CSS template and
then ask them to change the property values to alter the appearance of the
web page, something like -

body {
 margin: 10% 5% 10% 5%; /* top, right, bottom, left */
 background-color: lemonchiffon; /* ALTER */
 color: crimson; /* text colour - ALTER */
}
etc.

there are a lot of permutations possible in this discussion - I'd like to
start a new thread and offer some materials - worksheets, examples

sorry for distraction from main thrust of keith's original post and tony's
follow up
--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/

Thanks Bill and Robert. You are having an impact on me! I have started