[Year 12 IPM] Data vs Information

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Aug 26 15:00:36 EST 2005

Data vs Information

I've not been following super closely, so this may have come up - but
the challenge of defining data vs information definition debate is
tackled in both the information science and knowledge management
fields...  and often abbreviated as DIKW.

Google for "data information knowledge wisdom" and you'll be tipped
head down the rabbit hole into a range of articles and resources on
this topic.

But - for those who don't have time - here's a bit of copy and paste :-)

cheers
Donna

    1. Data: symbols
    2. Information: data that are processed to be useful;
         provides answers to "who", "what", "where", and "when"
questions
    3. Knowledge: application of data and information; answers "how"
questions
    4. Understanding: appreciation of "why"
    5. Wisdom: evaluated understanding.
( from http://www.systems-thinking.org/dikw/dikw.htm )

In the context of KM the following distinctions can be made: