[Year 12 IPM] Data vs Information

Peter Ruwoldt (Wrk) pruwoldt at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 25 19:38:53 EST 2005

I agree 100% - "Just because data is collated and sorted and summarised
does not make it more than data".

However, if that processing of data gives me something that I find
useful, that helps me make informed decisions - that I call
information.  'Information that is not useful' - there is a
contradiction.  Information is what is used to become informed.  When
you are informed you have something that is useful - now that you are
informed you can consider this in you decision making.  The stuff that
your boss is feeding you at a staff meeting is called fodder or data.

Agreed - IT should be called 'data processing'.

Peter