[Year 12 IPM] Data vs Information

Mike Brookes mikeb at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Aug 24 19:41:40 EST 2005

Ah the joys of what happens when words get hijacked :-)

Once upon a time information was knowledge/understanding/ideas possessed
  by a person. Since telepathy has not proved to be reliable method of
exchanging information between people it was necessary to represent this
information in a form that could be transmitted from one person to
another - Data. For example I have some information about the difference
between data and information. To pass this information to you I try to
represent it using English words (data) and transmit it to you. The
actual form of the data may change during the transmission process. eg.
from words to ascii code to binary and back. When you read the words on
your screen you will hopefully understand what I am writing and have
gained some information.  The quality of the "conversion to
data"/transmission/"decoding of data"  process can be measured by how
close your understanding/information corresponds to mine.

Only people can process information - computers only process data - the
most elegant of charts/graphs convey no information whatsoever to a
blind person. The single piece of data "car" can provide information to
anyone who can read English. Even more so if they knew that this was the
answer to the question "How are we going to get to the shopping centre
at lunchtime?"

Then the IT people came along and hijacked the words "information" and
"data" so that they could use the term Information Technology when
referring to a system that only processes data.

They said that Data was raw facts - being carefull not to define exactly
what a raw fact is.

They said that Information was data that had been processed to make it
more usefull - being carefull not to state how anyone could understand
anything from a carefully sorted and summarised list stored on a file
server.

Mike Brookes
Chief cook and bottlewasher - Copperfield College
(Confusionism is our favourite religion)