[Year 12 IPM] Data vs Information

Emma Coughlan aunty_em21 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 07:58:27 EST 2005

Morning Anne,

I think of data as raw and unprocessed information.
Such as a survey - when you collect the data and you
have not done anything with the results.

Information is more meaningful  - It has meaning. For
example the survey results put into a graph.

Another example -
5.7
5.4
6.1

Alone these numbers mean nothing...

However if we add meaning ...
5.7 ft
5.4 meters
6.1 ks

Hope that makes more sense!

:)

Em Coughlan
St Helena Secondary College
Eltham

--- murch at tpg.com.au wrote:

> Is someone able to give me a succint definition of
> each and hence the distinct difference between the
> two.
> This is a source of strong debate in another study
> method.  Email me direct if you do not want to
> clutter up
> the list.  Thanks in advance
> Anne Mirtschin
> Hawkesdale p12 College
> and Assessment Authority and
> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian

Enjoy your day as you never know whats around the corrner