[English] Teaching the same text in units 1/2 then again in 3/4

Forge, Alistair A forge.alistair.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu May 16 15:27:45 EST 2013

Hi there,

I'm a long-time reader and first-time poster. Have enjoyed discussion of Reluctant Fundamentalist.

I've always operated on the assumption that we cannot teach the same text at yr 11, then at yr 12 (for English or Literature). However I've looked at the relevant documentation (study design, book list etc) and can't see any mention of it.  The study design for Lit does say on page 31:

"At Units 1 and 2, text selection is entirely a school decision, which should be made in accordance with the guidelines on pages 14 and 17."

But neither of the guidelines on page 14 or 17 shed any light on it. Does anyone know if there are rules against it?

And yes, some might be appalled at the prospect of teaching a text twice, but if students are weak enough and the text is rich enough, I can see it working. As well, from my selfish perspective, I'm teaching a combined 11/12 Lit class meaning I currently have to change all texts every year, and it would be good to have some continuity from a planning perspective.

Kind Regards
Alistair Forge
Literacy Coach
William Ruthven SC