[English] ebook lovers

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Dec 2 05:33:43 EST 2009

As the address notes ..

http://www.onlinecourses.org/2009/11/11/100-useful-links-for-ebook-lovers

and, one delightful website

http://www.nzetc.org

"Welcome to the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre, part of Victoria
University Library. We are: a Digital Library: providing open access
to New Zealand & Pacific Island documentary heritage. You can search
and browse the collection.." (For example ..)

The Kia ora Coo-ee : the magazine for the ANZACS in the Middle East, 1918

Regimental Cooks ..

I reckon that I know something about regimental cooks, for there was a
time in the early days of the war when I was one myself. Cooking for a
mob of Dinkums is about the most thankless job that I know of, and in my
time I have tackled all kinds of employment. However, the dizzy limit in
cookhouses was perched on the side of a hill in Monash Gully, Gallipoli.
Portion of it was in sight of a Turkish sniper, who used to fire from the
crest of the range, near Pope's and Quinn's Posts. He was a humorous cuss
was this Turkish sharpshooter, and he took a special delight in shooting
holes in our cooking utensils.  (Palestine. Bill Bowyang.)

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-ReiKaOr-t1-g1-t2-body1-d5.html

Prisoners of War ..

The average Turkish prisoner is a humorous individual. He generally has a
smiling face instead of the surly scowl of the Bosche. A prisoner whom we
captured at Rafa said to his guard, "You Australian birds, same as
Gallipoli." Of course "Abdul" was referring to our emu plumes.

Another "Jacko," captured at Maghdaba, was brought into one of our camps
after the battle. As he looked a harmless old chap, we did not keep him
closely confined. Wandering around the bivvies, he saw several of the
lads playing cards. The stakes, which were lying on an outspread oil-
sheet, were mostly half piastres. "Jacko" watched the game for a time,
and then, seating himself amongst the players, produced from some portion
of his ragged clothing several five-piastre Turkish notes, and
volunteered to take a hand in the game. The notes being considered
valuable souvenirs, the boys raised no objections, but "Jacko" was not a
skilled player, and soon lost his roll. When his last note had changed
hands, he arose with a smile, and strolled down the lines. Ten minutes
later I noticed him sharing a tin of bully with some chaps ..

I heard a yarn about a Turkish prisoner, who was captured in the Jordan
Valley, but I'll not guarantee the truth of it. As he was being marched
to Headquarters he asked one of his guards, "Where I go to?" "Cairo,"
someone replied. "It's a pity," said "Jacko," "I thought they might send
me to Australia. I always did want to go to that country, my brother
lives there."

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-ReiKaOr-t1-g1-t5-body1-d8.html

--

Cheers,