[English] Re: o/t: the VIT associated with spam email?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri May 2 01:26:49 EST 2008

Hmm,

It seems a poor start to a fine Teacher PD initiative.

Under my understanding of Australian law, all emails 'must' have a name
and valid reply-address, otherwise it's illegal and the sender actionable.

The email in question was anonymous, and although I'm not game to try (in
case it fails) I could bet the sender address bounces, or does not connect
with a human. If not, failing both counts, it's illegal spam, no question.

Of deeper concern, I don't remember giving the VIT the right to pass on my
email address to some group or other that uses 'xmr3.com' company services.

By all means, my esteemed VIT, send me all the email you want, but I will
have it signed by a person, and from a proper VIT email address, thank you!

And I would much prefer you didn't mess with the good name of our VIT, and
a fine VIT PD initiative, with what can only be seen as a grubby promotion.

Anyway, across the three mailing lists I sent my email to, here are email
VIT email is dismal.

In closing, I feel annoyed that the VIT has shown unprofessional, possibly
illegal, conduct regards what should be a source of pride for VIT members!

--
"Yes Stephen, and it automatically went to my Junk Folder...!!!" Roslyn

"Yep. Since VIT never sends anything remotely useful or relevant, I just
assumed it was phishing and deleted it." Cameron

"Yes. It seemed to come from a respectable source so I opened it. Didn't
say much though." Robyn

"If you read Circular 7/2008 from VIT you will get a better idea of
what PDi is. I must confess, the eMail confused me as well (and i was
at a briefing recently where it was mentioned ! :( ) Not sure about VIT
and Spam, possibly just poorly worded releases to inform teachers of new
developments." Max

"Rather than try to work it out, I just deleted it along with a quantity
of spam." Pam

"After finding it in my junk email box, I did have a look. It all
downloaded and I went through the PD lists. Noticed only one VATE PD there
which was disappointing so its not a very comprehensive list. VATE gives
great value for its membership fee....and gives you a membership card that
doesn't crumple!" Jan

Original email:

Hi all,

This strange email arrived today .. did anyone else get one?