[English] Re: o/t: the VIT associated with spam email?

Caruso, Greta Caruso.G at kingswoodcollege.vic.edu.au
Fri May 2 14:27:46 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am yet to be convinced that anything that VIT does has any value.
So I will not even suggest that this might be useful initiative. But
there are a few things that might help if we are to really be informed.
First, I am speaking only on behalf of myself, but I have a long
standing involvement with VATE and VATE PD in particular. I have
differences with many of my VATE member friends about VIT and do not
believe that VATE has a unified policy or line.

John Mildren's statement that Pdi has been developed in response to the
need expressed by 12000 teachers is quite misleading; these teachers
simply responded to a series of questions sent out by VIT that begged
the question What sort of PD do you need? and VIT then took it upon
themselves to set up this hugely expensive and quite unnecessary website
and service. He also fails to mention that the cost to providers is
about $4000 per annum to be registered on the site, so it's not a case
of the VIT finally doing something for members; it's VIT making more
money and APPEARING to deliver a service.
Some issues
*	There are many very small consultancy companies of 1-4 people
who provide PD services. The $4,000 fee excludes them. This is
especially pertinent when you consider that the supposed aim of the
service is to help provide PD other than the "existing modes".
*	Why in the world should subject association (who are funded
overwhelmingly by teachers) pay VIT (who teachers directly fund) for a
service supposedly for teachers? So first I pay the be a member of VIT
(compulsory) then I pay to be a member of VATE (voluntary), the VIT
takes money from VATE to give to VIT!!!!
*	What is VIT going to do with the money?
*	Why do we need this service?
*	I really don't need anymore preaching to the converted spin
about how great teachers are and I definitely don't need to see anymore
photographs of VIT dignitaries, gladhanding someone or another and
giving them a certificate or signing a MOU. I would however like my card
to be plastic coated so that I can get it out of my wallet and in again
without wrecking it, and for my money that does not seem too much to
ask.

VATE is one of the biggest suppliers of PD in the state. All the money
goes back to the profession. The fees are very low and the feedback is
generally very high. VATE already does VCAA's job for them in terms of
providing support for the new study design especially and a great deal
of this work is actually done for fee.

And for those with the stamina to still be reading, remind me to tell
you about how they celebrate National Teachers' Day in Cuba. One of the
highlights of my life was to be there for this day last year 22 December
also my 50th birthday. Now there is a country that knows how to
celebrate teachers.

Greta Caruso