[English] RE: Hit: Gifted Students in the Classroom

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Feb 27 12:51:48 EST 2008

Hi all,

Have had a very humerous question regarding my recent post,
"Hit: Gifted Students in the Classroom" asking why one would
want to hit our gifted kids. So, perhaps one should explain the
TARGET-HIT convention. Briefly it was an invention of the popular
LM_NET mailing list and basically means a summary of list responses.

It's grown into quite a useful mailing list convention, especially for
very busy mailing lists, and should, by rights, be in upper case letters
in the email subject line. So, please don't hit any gifted school kids :-)

Perhaps one can do no better than let LM_NET explain in their own words:

--
LM_NET "Where School Librarians Connect"

Educational List Award Winner: List address, LM_NET at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

By Mike Eisenberg and Peter Milbury, LM_NET Co-Moderators

We do not believe we are overstating things when we boast that LM_NET is
the most successful educational e-mail list in the world, maybe the most
successful e-mail list in the world, period. We know that is a pretty bold
statement considering the wide range and number of e-mail groups on the
Internet. Nevertheless, we are certain that LM_NET would match up to the
very best of them based on some very impressive attributes:

Members – LM_NET now has more than 16,000 subscribed members from every
state in the United States and over 65 countries – from Azerbaijan to
Zambia. There are also thousands of other people who are not officially
subscribed but access LM_NET through the posted archives, messages
forwarded to local e-mail lists, or by some other means.

Volume – LM_NET is very busy (just ask any member) with 50 or more
messages a day. Just think, 50-plus messages traveling to 16,000-plus
members. That is close to a million LM_NET messages floating around the
Internet every day!

Community – LM_NET is more than just a mailing list; it's a community.
LM_NET is a virtual community of people dedicated to improving education
through school library and information work. LM_NET members support one
another every day but particularly come together in times of difficulty.
Examples include the Los Angeles earthquake in 1994, the tragedies of
September 11, and the Columbine High School shootings.

Scope – LM_NET covers a wide range of interests, all related to library
and information work in education. Recent postings included reading
comprehension (computer vs. books/print), comic books in the library,
flexible scheduling support, someone looking for the name of a story,
computer tampering, hoax Web sites, and online course recommendations.

Substance – LM_NET does more than touch the surface of topics. The
interactions result in in-depth treatments of the major concerns, issues
and themes of library media work. For example, one of LM_NET's most
successful inventions is the "Target-Hit" convention developed to
facilitate responding to a request for lots of feedback on a topic. If
someone posts a "TARGET->" then members know to respond directly to that
person, who will later post all the responses together in a "HIT->". (snip)

<http://www.lsoft.com/customers/lm_net.asp>

Cheers all
Stephen Loosley
English List Moderator
--

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server