[elearning] What do e-learning coordinators do ?

David Eddie deddie at sjcmda.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 6 08:43:22 EST 2009

Hi all

Here is my job description. Just new into the role this year.

JOB SUMMARY: The eLearning Co-ordinator is responsible for the overall management and use of the St Joseph's College network, ensuring its efficient support of the learning and teaching program within the philosophy of the College and the spirit of Mercy Ethos.  It is a role that is performed in conjunction with a range of key personnel including the staff and management of Integrating Technologies P/L, the Technology Planning Committee, Curriculum Co-ordinator and Domain Leaders.  It is a position that oversees the operation of the computer infrastructure of the College and its future development while also leading and supporting the integration of ICT into the curriculum.

The eLearning Co-ordinator must be able to work collaboratively with school leaders and teachers to ensure that the College's computer network operates in an integrated manner, offers stability of service and provides the best possible learning environment. In a time of unprecedented change, the eLearning co-ordinator is expected to have a clear vision of the role of technology in schools and be able to lead others to these understandings. To achieve this, the eLearning Co-ordinator must possess a high level of computer competency, be an effective communicator and have the courage and commitment to lead educators onto relatively untrodden paths.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

The eLearning-coordinator will operate at a leadership level.  Through addressing the following responsibilities, the eLearning Co-ordinator will either personally fulfil this duty, or delegate it to other persons such as the Network Technician, a member of the Technology Planning Committee, or the SIMON Administrator.

*         Management

o    Be responsible for the overall management of the College network and associated services.

o    Oversee the role to Network Technician to resolve issues, organise timelines and set priorities, liaising  with the management of Integrating Technologies.

o    Lead the Technology Planning Committee.

o    Develop policy and procedures relating to network use and operation.

o    Ensure effective help desk support mechanisms.

o    Ensure stability of access for network clients by overseeing the management of accounts.

o    Monitor and record licensing ensuring use of the most appropriate, up-to-date software.

o    Manage the allocation of hardware across the school, ensuring good condition.

o    Monitor bookings and access to computer resources through SIMON Bookings module to provide equity of access.

o    Administer the 'Computer Administration' budget with the Network Technician.

o    Liaise with the college SIMON Administrator and the SIMON development team to ensure best possible integration of SIMON Learning Management System.

o    With Network Technician, manage the access of third party computer support personnel in the best interest of the College network i.e. The Timetabler, SAS, Amlib etc.

*         Curriculum

o    Communicate with the Curriculum Coordinator, Teacher Librarian, and Domain Leaders to integrate ICT into the curriculum through the VELS Interdisciplinary Domain - ICT.

o    Work with the Teacher Librarian and teachers in the development of safe and ethical standards of digital citizenship including Internet safety, copyright law and acceptable use.

o    Demonstrate practices and seek opportunities to assist teachers in adopting technologies appropriate to the changed learning landscape.

*         Leadership

o    Lead the Technology Planning Committee in planning future directions for technology within the school.

o     Function as a member of the Curriculum Committee to support domain leaders.

o    Through involvement in relevant professional associations, sustain a high level of professional knowledge.

o    Contribute to the professional development of all school staff in relation to the use of digital technologies.

o    Report as appropriate to school leaders and the school community through the newsletter, magazine and annual reports.

*         Services.

o    Maintain the College webpage and Intranet resources to support and inform the school community.

o    Introduce new users to the network through orientation classes and documentation.

o    Assist the school learning community in the use of the Internet, Intranet and other resources for learning by providing tutorials and information brochures.

o    Facilitate access to community resources outside the physical boundary of the school to national and international collaborations.

Cheers

Dave Eddie

David Eddie
VCAL Co-ordinator / eLearning Co-ordinator
St Joseph's College
154 Twelfth Street
MILDURA Vic  3500
Ph (St Joseph's College) (03) 5018 8000