[elearning] Netbooks and Macs and Multicampus

Arnott, Suzanne S arnott.suzanne.s at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri May 1 16:06:51 EST 2009

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone can help before I totally lose my mind....

We have just launched some netbooks for student use (the first foray
into mobile computer access at the college) and seem to have come up
against some issues.

Students can't access IE even though the wireless is active it just
won't connect. Even when I tried running a digilearn object from a USB
drive it wouldn't open.

They can get to their folders fine.

It is taking ages for the netbooks to start up - supposedly the quick
start up is a plus for these little beauties.

The department software is what has been loaded, and at this stage we
are looking at reimaging - ughhhhh

Ohhh and it's all MS

We have Macs (they are lovely aren't they J) on each campus. Two
campuses don't yet have Mac access to the internet as the techs are
concerned about the security, and the one that does have only allows
admins to connect to the internet due to parental controls.

Ideas? What questions should I be asking the techs?

Of course all of these issues are compounded by the dodginess of the
network, possibly due to the multi campus thing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Suz

Suzanne Arnott

eLearning Leader