[Cisco] Sticky vs non sticky port security problem on 2950switches

Rob Bernard RBernard at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Wed May 10 12:48:24 EST 2006

Dear Kevork

I discussed your case with Verghese (our LMC).  I had a personel pet
theory that might account for this trouble (which we also see in our
2950 Switches, with, from memory, a newer IOS).

One thing that you have not mentioned is if there is a difference in
the version number of the BIOS in your 2 Switches.

If that is not causative, then I suggest that  it is possible that at
some stage of the production of the switches a hardware change was made
in the port hardware, and that the IOS either auto-detects the
difference in capabilities, or just plain mis-operates (depending on
your point of view).

The switch motherbaord is probably interchangeable in all other
repects, and perhaps is even being inter-mingled during service to
existing devices.

No doubt the upgrade in capability would have been planned for some
time, and appropriate software implemented to make it happen; but
without a change in model number, how could you tell the old boards from
the new (even in the production areas)?

If this is the case, then you would expect that gradually the
customer-base would fill-up with compliant switches, and eventually the
feature could be advertised as possible for that line.  However, the
reverse may also be the case, if an I.C. manufacturer started supplying
I.C.s that look and test the same in every other manner but this, and
the difference was not being picked-up during testing.  (This would not
be a feature that is likely to be high on the list of testing
priorities).

These hypotheses can be tested, specifically by you who has 2 splendid
units that are behaving quite differently with the identical IOS in
each.  All you would have to do is to 'lift the lid' and look for
differences in the key I.C.s, such as part-numbers, hardware changes,
manufacturer changes, etc.

(No doubt the real reason will eventually be found to be a memory
buffer malfunction causing an effect like hardware performance.  Such is
life for the speculators).  Good luck with your investigation - I would
love to hear what the final outcome is.

Regards      - Rob B.

Rob Bernard
Elec. Dept.
Room W291 (TAFE-Wantirna)
Swinburne Uni (Mail #W27)
c/o P.O. Box 218
Hawthorn, Vic.  3122
Ph.  61 (03) 9214 8464

>>> kevork at edulists.com.au 05/06/06 10:31 am >>>
Hi Jim and David,

   Thanks for your replies.
Whatever is causing the problem is presenting a very interesting
challenge
!!

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian