[Yr7-10maths] Year 9 Remedial Maths

Susan Sanders ssanders at olmc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Tue Feb 20 16:22:51 EST 2007

Our very weak students in year 9 are working through the program Elementary Math Mastery as part of their course. It is a comprehensive mathematics program designed for upper primary or secondary school remedial students comprising 20 different strands (the 4 operations, mumber patterns, fractions, decimals, algebra, percentages, data analysis, geometry etc.) and it requires 20 - 25 minutes each day. Each strand starts at base level and moves up through daily small incremental portions. Because they are small and reinforced and built on, they are retained.

The fully scripted program is set out in the teacher book Elementary Math Mastery by Rhonda Farkota and published by McGraw-Hill.

Good luck

Susan Sanders

>>> "Brokas, Teresa T" <brokas.teresa.t at edumail.vic.gov.au> 20/02/2007 11:27 am >>>
Hi Graham,
We use a book called Developmental Maths of which there are 4, Book 1 is very basic with the 4 operations of addition, subtraction, multiply and divide. We use Book 4 for Year 10, so for your year 9's Book 3 might be suitable. The authors are Thompson and Wrightson,

Good luck,
Teresa Brokas