[Yr7-10it] 3D printing - printer placement and ventilation

Grieve, Carlin C grieve.carlin.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Feb 19 13:52:59 AEDT 2017

Hi Mel,

Lots of differing opinions do exist out there. From what I have found, both ABS & PLA emit ultrafine particles and should be considered hazardous. Generally the Printer itself doesn’t cause the issue, but the material does and can vary from manufacturers.
I would recommend purchasing printers with a HEPA filter to help assist with the issues. (ensuring that the MSDS for each Plastic used is also checked off with somebody trained – we enlist the service of our Science Lab Technician)

We have two printers. Neither have HEPA Filters. Both are in our computer room (Old converted electronics room) which had a disused Fume Cupboard.

-UpMini 1st Generation

  *   Stored in a Fume Cupboard
  *   When in use, extraction fan is turned on.
  *   Primarily prints ABS
-Creatbot DX02

  *   Currently building a Case with extraction at back
  *   Sits on an old TV Trolley
  *   Occasionally will move around the school for show/demonstrations.
  *   Primarily prints PLA/HIPS for this reason.

Hopefully this helps out.

Kind Regards,

[cid:image002.png at 01D28AB7.77B514D0]

Carlin Grieve