[Yr7-10it] Blogging for Students

Margaret Lawson margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Sat Feb 26 12:51:20 EST 2011

When I used blogs as part of an Year 9 English literacy initiative many
years ago, we used http://www.livejournal.com
why? The kids could completely lock down their posts and they would only
be available to each other and not the whole world. We also set up a
community so that we could post the task that they were working on and
then they could comment when they completed their book reviews.

We found that the kids would only participate if there was a mark
associated with contributions. A lot of our ESL students loved the
environment because they could draft and re-draft.

I am sure that there are better blogs out there than Livejournal. When
we did the Year 9 English Literacy initiative, there wasn't much out there!

I like the idea of setting up some controls and then if the kids like
blogging they can go and set up their own blog account external to what
you have done in the classroom.

Margaret

Margaret Lawson

Konstant Kaos Designs